Saturday, September 12, 2009

Seranaded for bread

After my very relaxing and calming experience in Pushkar city I decided to go for a walk to see the sunset. I walked around the edge of the lake and smiled at people as I went. No one bothered me because the could see on my arms and forhead that I had done a pooja that morning so I was free to enjoy the sights without hassle.

I had intended to make it to the Brahma temple but spent too long around the lake and before I knew it the sun was setting. I found a step to sit on and sat cross legged drinking in the marvelos view. Two locals approached me for a chat. Kali and Papu. They were lovely and as usualy were selling me something. I explained that i did not want to buy anything but would sit and chat with the as the sun set.

Kali soon left in search of the almighty tourist buck, but Papu remained and talked to me about his life in the desert, his wife and children. Papu was a musician who made his bread by singing and playing his instruent (something like a violin).

After a while we parted and I found a few people using twirling sticks and flags and dancing n the light of the sunset but to no music. i found Papu and asked him to pla so that we would all have some lovely tunes together.

Papu played and sang beautiful music until the sunset, truely a magical serenade to a beautiful day. But when I went to pay him he pushed my money back at me.

"I am not take money from you Nadia" he said. "I am good man who works for his family. I want you to buy flour for me to make chipatti for my children. You not give money."

So together we went and for 100Rupees (around $2.50) I bought Papu 10kg of flour. He told me this would feed his family for a week, hugged me and took off on his walk home to the desert.

I have no photos of Papu or the amazing sunset, but the memory will stay forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment